But where there's a will, there's a way. Here's how you get your file back:
1) Word autosaves the file every 10 minutes (I actually have my autosave set on 2min). This file gets deleted as soon as you hit save (or Save As... in my case)
- the first thing I did when the asterisk bug hit is save my file as another document (original name f'ed up.doc). Big mistake as the auto recovery file was instantly deleted.
2) Download a file recovery software. I used Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery. Pay the $99 for activation, you know what your file is worth to you.
3) Click Recover Deleted Files. Go get 8 solid hours of sleep. You deserve it and it will take close to that long for recovery software to run.
4) In the file types- open documents, then open word files. There will be a list of countless word files, all without names (The naming scheme used in the operating system is part of the file system architecture, which becomes severed when the files are deleted. hundreds or thousands of files with names that are gone forever.) You'd think organizing by modified date would help, but alas all the dates are gone as well. Just left with hundreds of word files.
5) Insert flash drive and recover all Word files to the flash drive (for some reason recovery software can't recover to same drive)
6) Now you have a folder on USB drive that has hundreds of files. Among them is the auto recovery file of your document.
7) How to find it? Several ways.
A) Wait for spotlight to index the files (they'll have to be copied back to the hard drive). you can speed this long by going to Settings- Spotlight- Privacy- and add the folder you transferred to the hard drive to list of folders for spotlight to skip. Close out of settings. Go back in and remove the folder from the files to not index list. Search.
B) Find a file of approximately the right size (Compare to whatever version you have saved thats closest.) Arrange files by size. Keep opening files till you find it. (Tip: Use number of words to know if the autosave file is the most recent one available- more words usually means more recent)
8) Don't forget to update your Word (Help- Check for Updates) to the latest version with the bug fixed (it actually happened to me twice, shame on me.) You'll have to update twice to get to the latest version.
9) If I saved you a ton of work, help me pay off my student loan. PayPal accepted.